It is less than for an hour, James Naismith, sitting at a table at the office in YMCA formulated thirteen rules of the game in basketball.
- The ball can be thrown in any direction by one or two hands
- It is possible to kick one or two hands in any direction the ball, but by no means a fist
- The player cannot run with a ball. The player has to give a pass or throw a ball into a basket from that point in which it caught it, the exception becomes for the player running at a good speed.
- The ball has to be kept by one or two hands. It is impossible to use for deduction of a ball of a forearm and a body.
- Anyway blows, captures, deduction and pushing of the opponent are not allowed. The first violation of this rule by any player, has to be fixed as a foul (dirty game); the second foul disqualifies him, the following ball and if there was an obvious intention to injure the player, on all game will not be hammered yet. No replacement is allowed.
- Blow to a ball with your fist – violation of points of rules 2 and 4, punishment is described in point 5.
- If one of the parties makes three fouls in a row, they have to be fixed as a goal, for opponents (it means that during this time opponents should not make any foul).
- The goal is set off, – if the ball thrown or jumped aside from a floor gets to a basket and remains there. The protected players are not allowed to concern a ball or a basket at the time of a throw. If the ball concerns edge, and opponents move a basket, to be set off a goal.
- If the ball goes to a miss (out of platform limits), it has to be thrown out in a field and the first player who concerned it. In case of dispute to throw out a ball in the field, the judge has to. To the throwing player five seconds are allowed to hold a ball. If it holds it more long, the ball is given to the opponent. If any of the parties tries to tighten time, the judge has to give them a foul.
- The judge has to watch actions of players and fouls, and also notify the referee, on three, the made in a row fouls. It is allocated with the power to disqualify players according to the Rule 5.
- The referee has to watch a ball and define when the ball is in game (within a platform) and when goes to a miss (out of platform limits) what of the parties has to own a ball, and also control time. It has to define defeat of the purpose, keep record of the hammered balls, and also carry out any other actions which are usually carried out by the referee.
- Game consists of two periods of 15 minutes everyone with a break five minutes between them.
- The party which shot more balls in this period of time is the winner of the game.
Eventually basketball changed …
At first it was game of patience and strategy …
The majority of the first games had the final score which never exceeded 15 or 20 points.
Naismith watched closely the sport development presented in many nations by the movement YMCA, 1893.
For the first time at the Olympic Games basketball was presented in Berlin in 1936.
At peak of development of the game, Naismith it was accepted to the Basketball Hall of Fame in spite of the fact that it was already called in his honor.